GCOS Essential Climate Variable (ECV) Data Access Matrix
The Essential Climate Variable (ECV) Data Access Matrix is in development to provide a clearninghouse for access to ECV related data sets and information. The input for the variable descriptions was provided by WMO/GCOS and latest updated on June 20, 2013.
ECVs are required to support the work of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). All Essential Climate Variables are technically and economically feasible for systematic observation. It is these variables for which international exchange is required for both current and historical observations. It is emphasized that the ordering within the table is simply for convenience and is not an indicator of relative priority.
An effort is presently underway to identify vetted data sets for each of the ECVs. These data sets will be made available in this data access matrix. Satellite data questionnaires was sent to World Data Centers to identify these data sets. This effort is in cooperation with the Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) Systems Engineering Office/NASA Langley Research Center, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the WMO Global Climate Observing System (GCOS), the WCRP Data Advisory Council (WDAC), the Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites — NC (CICS-NC), NOAA/NCDC and the GOSIC. A similar effort is on the way to identidy vetted in-situ data sets.
The Annual State of the Climate Reports are a special supplement to the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (BAMS) publication. Pier reviewed articles identify ECV data sets. These data can be accessed by links in the Matrix below under individual ECVs.
An article on 'The Concept of ECVs in Support of Climate Research, Applications and Policy' was published in the September 2014 issue of the BAMS.
REMINDER: This is a team effort. Suggestions and comments are welcome. Please send them to: email@example.com
* Added or modified per 'Implementation Plan for the Global Observing System for Climate in Support of the UNFCCC - August 2010, GCOS-138 (GOOS-184, GTOS-76, WMO-TD/No. 1523)' (pdf)
** Not an official GCOS ECV
- Summary Report of the Fifteenth Session of the GCOS/WCRP Terrestrial Observation Panel for Climate (TOPC), Geneva, Switzerland, 6-7 March 2013
- Guideline for the Generation of Datasets and Products Meeting GCOS Requirements - An update of the "Guideline for the Generation of Satellite-based Datasets and Products meeting GCOS Requirements" (GCOS-128, WMO/TD-No. 1488), including in situ datasets and amendments - May 2010 - GCOS-143 (WMO/TD No.1530)
- Implementation Plan for the Global Observing System for Climate in Support of the UNFCCC - August 2010 - GCOS-138/GOOS-184/GTOS-76/WMO-TD/No.1523
- List of ECVs: (ANNEX I of the Guideline for the Generation of Satellite-based Datasets and Products meeting GCOS Requirements - GCOS-128 (WMO/TD No.1488) - March 2009)
- GCOS Climate Monitoring Principles (GCMPs) (ANNEX II of the Guideline for the Generation of Satellite-based Datasets and Products meeting GCOS Requirements - GCOS-128 (WMO/TD No.1488) - March 2009)
- Guideline for the Generation of Satellite-based Datasets and Products meeting GCOS Requirements - GCOS-128 (WMO/TD No.1488) - March 2009
- CEOS EO Handbook - The Important Role of Earth Obervations: The Essential Climate Variables
- Terrestrial Essential Climate Variables for Climate Change Assessment, Mitigation and Adaptation - GTOS-52 - January 2008 (pdf)