Disturbances in the Atlantic now have an 80% chance of developing

through: Athena MorrisNextstar Media Wire



TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – One in two Atlantic disturbances now has an 80 percent chance of becoming a tropical depression sometime in the next 48 hours, the National Hurricane Center said.

A broad area of ​​low pressure has continued to produce showers and thunderstorms over the ocean, a few hundred miles southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands in West Africa, according to the NHC.

The system is expected to move generally northwest across the eastern Atlantic and likely evolve into a tropical depression sometime over the next day or two. Forecasters give it an 80% chance of becoming a tropical depression or storm in the next two to five days.

Forecasters are also watching a tropical wave that had disorganized showers and thunderstorms a few hundred miles east of the Windward Islands, part of the West Indies in the Caribbean.

Slow development is possible as it moves west towards the islands and the eastern Caribbean Sea. The NHC said the storm’s progress is being monitored in the Windward Islands. Right now, the storm has an average 40% chance of becoming a tropical depression or significant storm sometime in the next two days, and a 60% chance of becoming one in the next five days.

The next named storm of the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season is Julia.

About Mike Crayton

Check Also

Tornado and Severe Thunderstorm Clocks for Minnesota

[ad_1] Updated at 6:37 pm NOAA’s Storm Prediction Center has issued a heavy thunderstorm watch …