CEBU CITY – A total of PHP 2 million in support in the form of “Negosyo Kits” will help restart the businesses of the 2,500 micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in Cebu province affected by Typhoon Odette start, an official said on Wednesday.
Rose Mae Quiñanola, director of the Cebu Ministry of Commerce and Industry, said the livelihood program is a post-disaster response mechanism to meet the need for continued economic activity in typhoon-hit areas.
DTI in Cebu on Wednesday completed the distribution of livelihood kits to MSMEs whose businesses were affected by the typhoon and registered for the livelihood seeding program under Pangkabuhayan sa Pagbangon at Ginhawa (PPG).
“We hope this livelihood and entrepreneurship program will help restart your businesses as we recover from the challenges presented by the pandemic and recent disaster (Typhoon Odette),” Quiñanola said.
The DTI Negosyo Center (NC) also conducted seminars on entrepreneurial development and simple accounting to further equip MSMEs with skills helpful in their enterprise recovery efforts.
DTI’s PPG program started in Cebu in February and includes a total of 29 cities and towns listed as affected by the typhoon.
NC Business Advisors worked with local government units to profile the beneficiaries before distributing the livelihood aid.
Each beneficiary received a living allowance of PHP 8,000 in the form of cash vouchers.
The vouchers are used by MSMEs to purchase necessary items for their businesses from DTI partner facilities.
So far, DTI in Central Visayas has launched 6,900 subsistence kits for Cebu (2,500), Bohol (2,500), Negros Orriental (1,500) and Siquijor (400) under the PPG program at a total cost of more than PHP 55 million. (PNA)