Here is our weekend weather forecast for India
5-day nationwide forecast
The deep depression over the southwestern Bay of Bengal moved between the early and morning hours of Saturday 5 Sri Lanka), 300 km east-northeast of Nagappattinam (Tamil Nadu) and about 390 km south-east of Chennai. From here it is likely to move northwest by Saturday evening and then west-southwest towards the north coast of Tamil Nadu in the following 36 hours.
Under its influence, light to moderate rain and thunderstorms are likely in some places on Saturday over the north coast of Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Karaikal, with heavy rain in isolated locations. On the same day scattered light to moderate rain and thunderstorms are expected on the south coast of Andhra Pradesh and Rayalaseema.
Light to moderate rain and thunderstorms in many locations with heavy to very heavy rain in isolated locations were forecast over the coast of Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Karaikal on Sunday. In addition, light to moderate rainfall and thunderstorms with heavy falls are possible in isolated locations over the south coast of Andhra Pradesh and Rayalaseema. Next Monday the conditions will remain the same, only the heavy to very heavy showers will move from the coastal TN to the north TN.
In the north, a new western disturbance will affect the western Himalayan region from Saturday through Monday.
Accordingly, isolated light rain/snowfall with isolated thunderstorms and lightning are very likely on Saturday over the western Himalayan region. On Sunday, scattered heavy rains will hit Jammu-Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit-Baltistan and Muzaffarabad.
In addition, fairly widespread to widespread light to moderate rain/snow with scattered thunderstorms and lightning is expected over Jammu-Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit-Baltistan, Muzaffarabad and Himachal Pradesh, while scattered light to moderate rain/snow with scattered thunderstorms and lightning is forecast has given prediction about Uttarakhand on Saturday and Sunday.
Dry weather is likely over other areas during this period.
As for mercury levels, maximum temperatures during this period are likely to be higher or slightly higher than average in the western Himalayas, Rajasthan and north-eastern India. Other areas will be cooler or slightly cooler. Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh will also be cooler due to heavy rains on Monday.
On the other hand, minimum temperatures will be higher than normal or close to normal across India during this period.
Regional 2-day forecast
- Heavy rain is likely over remote locations on Tamil Nadu coast.
- Isolated rain/snow and thunderstorms were forecast over Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh, while only isolated showers and thunderstorms are expected over Tamil Nadu.
- There is a chance of rain/snow over Arunachal Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh. Scattered rain is expected over Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Heavy to very heavy rains may hit isolated locations on north coast of Tamil Nadu.
- Heavy rain is likely over isolated locations in the south coast of Andhra Pradesh while heavy rain/snow has been forecast over isolated locations in Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- Extensive rain/snow and thunderstorms are expected over Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- Fairly widespread rains and thunderstorms are likely over Tamil Nadu.
- A few rain/snow and thunderstorms are forecast over Himachal Pradesh.
- Patchy rain/snow is forecast for Uttarakhand, while patchy rain is possible over Punjab, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Download weather, science and COVID-19 updates on the go The weather channel app (in the Android and iOS store). It’s free!